NASA: 2020 slated for the launching of a Flying Helicopter in Mars
Very soon helicopter will be flying in the Mars. The Mars 2020 rover and its helicopter companion are to be launched in July 2020 and appears on the red planet in July 2021.
Get the Details on the Helicopter
- This helicopter has two blades which will spin close to 3000 revolutions a minute, and it is about 10times faster than a standard helicopter on Earth.
- This helicopter will has the capacity to fly about 55million km – 34 million miles – from Earth, much far away to send a remote signal.
- According to the Project Manager at NASA’s jet Propulsion Laboratory, Mimi Aug, “Earth will be several light minutes away, so there is no way to joystick this mission in real time,” however, the helicopter will “fly the mission on its own.”
- According to NASA explanation, it is designed to fly in the Mars’ atmosphere that is 100times thinner than Earth’s.
- It size is of a softball and its weight is cut to 1.8kg (4lbs).
- According to Ms Aung,”The altitude record for a helicopter flying here on Earth is about 40,000feet, ‘when our helicopter is on the Martian surface, it’s already at the Earth equivalent of 100,000 feet up’ .”
Soviet Scientists dropped two balloons into the Venus’ atmosphere in the 1980s. Since, then no aircraft has ever been taken off from the from the surface of any other planet.
The craft doesn’t needs a Pilot, neither is a drone, it is called a helicopter.
NASA, in its statement, if it does not work, the Mars 2020 will not be impacted. If it does work, helicopters may have a real future as low-flying scouts and a aerial vechiles to access locations not reachable by ground travel. Jim Bridenstine ( NASA administrator) said, The idea of a helicopter flying the skies of another planet is thrilling.
Indeed it is cool and super amazing.