Tips on How to Use Your Phone as Webcam
The steps below will guide to set up security camera on Android:
- Connect your computer and the phone to the same Wi-Fi network.
- Install the IP Webcam app on your smartphone.
- Close all other camera apps. Force close them from the app switcher before you proceed.
- Launch the IP Webcam app. Scroll to the bottom and tap Start server.
- The app will now fire up your phone’s camera and display a URL. Our URL was http://126.96.36.199:8080.
- Enter this URL in any browser on your computer and hit Enter.
- In the browser, you’ll see a drop down menu next to Video renderer. Select Browser that, you’ll see Audio renderer Select HTML wav.
- Below that, you’ll see Audio renderer. Select HTML wave.
Now you’ll see a live video feed in your browser. You can also record this footage via the browser. To do this, just press the red Record button under the video. This saves the footage as an MP4. There will be a slight lag if you enable HTML wave audio in the browser. You can select the Flash option (doesn’t work on all computers) or open the same URL in VCL media player.
To do this, first download VCL from this website. Then in VCL, go to Media, from media to Network Stream and enter the URL from the app as seen in step 5.
Once the app is running, you don’t need to keep your phone’s screen on. It works even when the phone is locked, but the video feed is slightly smoother when the screen is on.